We knew going in that we would have to replace the ugly carpet and paint the drab wallpaper. I’m sure back in the day it was nice but not so much anymore. What I didn’t realize is they put carpet EVERYWHERE. It is under everything which requires removal or cutting the carpet back on all the cabinets and tables. It is under the dash and the seats, on the walls from 18″ down, inside every cabinet, All around every crevice and cover. If they didn’t use a million staples they didn’t use any. They also came up with this glue that NASA would be proud of. I was pulling up chunks of OSB with the carpet. I did find a tool that made it a lot easier. It took a week but we got all the carpet out. It was at this point we found the dreaded mold and signs of water intrusion.
After searching out where the water leaks were coming from I determined all the slide seals needed to be replaced and the roof resealed. Resealing the roof was pretty routine. I used brush on clear Proflex and in a couple of hours it was done. 2 leaks were fixed 4 to go. I also determined the the seal under the kitchen slide was totally destroyed. With that seal wide open all the rain from the right front tire would go directly on the floor when driving down the road. replacing that seal and engineering a makeshift wheel well liner took care of leak number 3. In addition it required patching in a new piece of subfloor but it was small and fairly easy.
Whoever had the bus before us left it outside and pulled in buckets full of debris when they closed the slides, tearing up the wiper seals. This was a direct result of the damaged slide toppers and with any routine inspection and maintenance could have been easily prevented. Changing the slide toppers is easy and relatively inexpensive compared to the damage water intrusion can cause and the labor required to replace the slideout seals. If the inner seals had been damaged it would have required removal of the slides. Imagine what that would cost. Fortunately that was not the case. After being quoted $6000 ($1000 per slide for the seals and $500 for the toppers) I decided to tackle it myself. After tons of research and ordering a few sample pieces I located the materials I needed to do the repairs including the toppers for $1100.00.
While I was waiting on parts we decided to begin the painting process and prep for the fireplace install. I decided to go with a primer/paint all in one and to just paint over the wallpaper because of the way it was adhered to the wallboard. I also had to remove a cabinet to install the fireplace. Upon removal I discovered I would also have to relocate a lightswitch and a 120v outlet. My handy oscillating cutter made quick work of this. so far in prepping for the paint I have gone through 3 rolls of painters tape, lol so many windows. The color we chose is a great improvement and currently have the front half of the bus done.
I had to build an extension for the platform on the slide so our new loveseat would fit. To make it more complicated it had to be removable so carpet could be put in under it. Not easy but turned out well.
I got into a routine. Get up early Saturday morning and start the genny and a/c units, scrape and replace slideout seals until I think I’m gonna die from the heat, then work inside taping and painting. It took 5 weekends but I finally got it done. Putting the toppers on by myself was quite a challenge but I got it done. Best part is all leaks are sealed and our new carpet can be scheduled to get installed Not so fast …. now the refrigerator is giving the dreaded noco error and is toast. 2 steps forward and on step back. This won’t delay the carpet install but is another unexpected financial hit. I will be swapping it out with a residential in a future edition.
As sands through the hourglass ……